Sunday, January 15, 2017

A Most Beautiful Overlooked Attribute

I am going to brag on my Father-in-law. He is awesome! Gentle, kind, wise amazing man. I love him.

Dad has been a carpenter for a long time. It is a gift and how he made a living to provide for his family. He is so good at his work that he built a great clientele and became known as "The Master".  He would dislike me telling you this. He would shake his head and dismiss it or give a self deprecating joke.


He is humble.

It is an amazing quality.

Humility is often an overlooked attribute in people, but what a beautiful quality it is!!

Early in our marriage Craig observed his Dad in a number of situations where building was involved. He was a little confused when for the third or so time he observed his Dad ask someone else how they would approach a project. Craig was wondering why his Dad would do this since these people consistently did not share his Dad's experience or skill. It didn't make sense. At all! His Dad was the best at his work, he knew how to do everything in building. He had seen it all in his years of work. His Dad was "The Master" in construction and finish carpentry after all.

I figured it might be good to ask his Dad why and challenged Craig to do so. His Dad's answer was the best. I loved it! I already respected my Father-in-law, but this increased it significantly more.

Dad said " I like to find out how someone else would do it, maybe they thought of something I haven't."

Wow!

After 30-40 years of expertise, he wants to hear how some one else would approach it.  He is hoping to learn, grow, see something from a different perspective. He doesn't just assume he knows how and that is the only way.

I just love this reason for his behavior in so many ways. It exhibits humility, wisdom, a value for others and so much more. If you know Dad, this answer makes so much sense. It is who he is in a nutshell and I love him for it.

He is an amazing man. One worth emulating. He raised up a fine man to be my husband and one who shares many of his wonderful qualities. I am a lucky woman.

May I be of the same mind with others; instead of being haughty in mind or wise in my own estimation, let me associate with the humble.
(Romans 12:16)

When I read this scripture the other day, it was my Father-in-law and husband who came to mind. I am glad these good men are in my life!!

Three things here:

  1. Harmony and unity with others should be my goal. If I think I am clever, or better than others, I will believe my opinion is worth more than theirs and my need for validation could threaten harmony.
  2. Make friends with those who are humble. This is the opposite of using others to climb the ladder socially or for work. Seek out the humble, completely counter culture!!
  3. Be careful not to think too highly of yourself. Have you been around someone who thinks they know everything, or who clearly thinks they are smarter or better than others? I bet someone came to mind. How do they treat others? Do they associate with the humble? Are they peace makers? Not usually!

This verse was in my morning reflection time this week. I am working at committing it to memory. I want the Holy Spirit to transform me with it. I want these qualities and attributes to be a part of my character and life.





No comments:

Post a Comment