Sunday, November 15, 2015

A Response to Chaos

I could have given up on Facebook this week. At first, the ridiculous Starbucks cup débâcle. Then the violence that struck and brought a tidal wave of opinions. Honestly, it was a lot. 

First, brothers and sisters in Christ, really!?! That is exactly the stuff the media loves to pounce on. It makes us look petty, judgmental, and it is a poor representation of the love of God. Let's be a little more discerning in the future! 

I have to laugh as I see the very people lumping all Christians into one miserable, judgemental group of ignorants,  then turn around and remind the world that not all Muslims are terrorists. I laugh because honestly, how else can I respond? I agree, Muslims are not all terrorists. The refugees are fleeing that very insanity to seek safer borders. The irony is that tolerance is promoted as a virtue, yet those promoting it are not extending it to all groups.

As a result of all the chaos, I have had the Prayer of St. Francis going through my head. I first learned these words in a children's choir. Even as a child, these words were impactful. I knew even then that the world would be so different if mankind could behave this way, if I could behave this way.

The Prayer of St. Francis

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.
O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled as to console,
To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love;
For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
It is in dying to self that we are born to eternal life.

It isn't my natural response, it is the response that comes from being close to God.

In my heart of hearts, this is who I want to be. In reality, well...

That is why I have been meditating on these words. That is why I beg God to change my human nature.

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Amen





No comments:

Post a Comment