Monday, June 29, 2015

Taking It Slow

What is summer to you?  For me it is the time where life's pace changes. It is when things slow down. We reconnect, rejuvenate, and reevaluate.

Sometimes the pace of life is so driving from fall to spring that by the time summer comes, I just need to get my feet under me again. I need things to slow down. I need to relax and just be with my family and friends.  For me, summer gets that balance in place again. We love being at the lake together, skiing, paddle boarding, kayaking, swimming. There is a mix of introverts and extroverts in the family so some of the times are just us and some of those times are with friends. It is so much fun to have friends out there. It gives us a few hours with nothing but play on the agenda. That is life giving to me. Hanging out, catching up. I really love how summer offers that rhythm. 

It rejuvenates me having a simplified schedule again. Back to the basics of work and play. The kids fell in love with Indoor Volleyball which doesn't compete with lake time. By the time their competitive season winds down in Spring, I am itching to get the lake. That simplified schedule really helps me refuel. They love being at the lake and so it gives us the opportunity to keep the schedule free. This year they didn't even want to go away for a holiday, they just wanted to sit right here and ski as much as possible. Anything 20 degrees and above with low wind is a lake day, off we go! At the lake I don't have to look at the laundry that needs folding, or the ceiling that needs painting, it is just play time. My parents bought the lot back when I was a little girl. It faces west which is incredible with our long Northern days. It is close enough that even after work we can drive out and "get away". I am ready for fall if we have had enough time out at the lake. It makes all the difference for me. We are terribly spoiled and I don't take it for granted at all. 

Summer gives me space to contemplate where I have been spending my time and prayerfully consider what changes might need to happen the coming fall.  It is a chance to evaluate what is defining our time as a family and make some changes that way too. Fewer commitments open up time for such contemplation. It is a good chance to relax and sit with the ideas and thoughts. There is no rush, I don't try to fix it, I just try to listen to God's direction. His direction is solid.

This summer is going to be a little different. It looks like I may have a tear in my rotator cuff. It happened during a family outing of extreme snow shoeing ;)  I won't be able to play with the kids like I usually do. It is another summer without water skiing, paddle boarding, kayaking. This time, I cannot even do swim strokes. I can hold floaty and kick. I am hoping to get fast enough to swim across the lake with the kids. We'll see if I am successful. I will admit that my attitude isn't the greatest right now, but I am trying to figure it out. I am going to try to take life a little slower. I am going to post once a week for the summer.  I am going to learn to take breaks during my work day to ice and heat my rotator cuff. I am going to take time to reconnect, rejuvenate, and reevaluate.  I am going to figure out a way to enjoy what summer has to offer without the recreation I usually enjoy. I am going to try taking it slow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment