Thursday, June 11, 2015

A Bed For The Night

You know those moments when you are tumbling through time. Profound things are happening and so much is spinning in your mind that there is no way to possibly put words to it?

That is me today.
Again.

I spent the afternoon at the Fire Pit cutting hair for the street people and homeless of our city.I am overwhelmed by the stories I hear. Pain, violence, loss.  They speak of situations and circumstances that are beyond my comprehension.  Who takes a baseball bat to the head of another human? A teenager no less?!

I see resiliency.  I am amazed that they have the strength to wake up and face another day.It honestly astonishes me! How do they do it?

They sit and visit with each other as I cut hair. "Give him a mohawk!!"  " You took too much off the top!"  An uproar of laughter breaks out. I joke with my client saying "Everyone has an opinion!" To which they reply "I'm going to come with a mullet wig one day!"   They know that humor is healing. I love to hear them laugh and joke. I feel accepted when they laugh and joke with me.

They so deeply appreciate the gift of a free haircut.  Genuine appreciation. "Thanks so much, it helps so much to get a haircut!"

It seems so small, so very little in the face of such enormous need.

I ache thinking of the girl who has hoped each night for the last 5 years that there will be room at the shelter for her at  night.

I hurt for those who are mourning the tragic loss of their friends.

I have no idea what it is like to live their harsh reality. I have no idea what it is to wonder where I will sleep at night. Will it be safe? Will I be turned away? Will there be a bed for me for that night?

I cringe when I hear people say;
"They can get off the street!"
"There is lots of work, they should just get a job!"
"I don't feel sorry for them, they can choose to change their life!"
"Why does their kid have an iPhone when mine doesn't?"

It isn't that easy. When we say things like that, we assume way too much. We assume they possess the same basics we have been privileged to have been raised with. We assume they have been given the same opportunity. That they have the resources enabling them to use opportunity. Maybe it hurts so much to live that to have an iPhone makes it not seem so bad.  Maybe they just don't have what we got to face life.

They don't.
Life isn't fair.
They got a crappy deck of cards. They are doing what they have the ability to do.
There, but for the grace of God, go I.

I pray we will develop compassion. I pray that there will be increased love. I pray that as fellow humans we will not be satisfied to just let you continue to hope there will be a bed at a shelter for you tonight. I pray as a society we will be burdened by the plight of our brothers and sisters. I pray we will have wisdom to see what help will truly be helpful. I pray our own comfort and affluence will make us uncomfortable. Uncomfortable enough to reach out.





No comments:

Post a Comment