Sunday, October 22, 2017

When was the last time you had a really good look at yourself?  As objective as you could get, have you analyzed your attitudes, behaviors, and choices?


God has me under the microscope lately. As His child, I invite Him to search me and know me, I ask Him to reveal my hidden sin.


It is uncomfortable sometimes.


Especially when I want to rationalize my attitudes, behaviors, and choices…


I love a phrase I heard today from our guest speaker Ken Esau. He is an Old Testament teacher from the Bible School our one son is attending. He said, “ We are to get behind Jesus and follow Him into life.”


When I don’t like the way life is going, I jump in front of Jesus and get busy trying to fix things back to the way I like them. Yeah, I know, it is ironic. I never once have succeeded. I have never once been happier or better off for it. Yet, it continues to be my default setting. You would think by now I would know better. Trust me, I wish I did.  I am the slowest learner around I think!


I am crazy hard headed!!


What does it mean to you?


What does it look like in everyday life?


“We are to get behind Jesus and follow Him into life.”


When I heard this phrase I thought of how baby elephants grab their Mama's tail and follow right behind.

I was reminded of that game where you are blindfolded and someone leads you through an obstacle course.


I always found the best way to play was to have that person directly ahead of me and follow them by gripping their arms, paying attention to their voice, physical movement, and honing all my other senses on them. When I did this, I got through the obstacle course. When I got bold and tried to step out on my own, I would walk face first into a wall or trip over something.


It also reminded me of learning to ballroom dance with my husband. To learn how to follow his leading, I would close my eyes and actually let him lead me.  I spent the first four classes this way.  As soon as I start to anticipate his next move, I fail to follow correctly and ruin the dance.



Following is hard. It requires trust and submission.  Following means no matter what comes my way, I am going to grip Jesus and let him lead me through, even if I don’t like how things are shaping up. I am going to grip him tight, tuck in behind him, step where he says to step and do what he says to do. I cannot do this if I do not know him. I can only do this if I am spending time in the Bible, learning who he is, allowing him to teach, correct, and transform me. This only works if I am spending time in prayer, listening, confessing, and practicing thankfulness. I have to live in step with the Holy Spirit, giving Him space to speak and learning to hear His voice.  I cannot follow on my own strength. My spirit is selfish, controlling and uncooperative on its own.


I know the only way to finish well is to get behind Jesus and follow Him into life.


I want to finish well.
That means I need to follow Jesus well!


No comments:

Post a Comment