Sunday, October 8, 2017

The Discipline of Gratitude

It’s Thanksgiving, that makes the topic easy to pick this week! But, it isn’t actually an easy thing sometimes. We all give lip service to thankfulness and gratitude, but does our knowledge impact our behavior?
I am speaking to myself…
I go in spurts.


In my life, I have witnessed the benefits of gratitude and giving thanks:



  • People who are honestly grateful are attractive to others. We are drawn to positivity. You can be going through huge challenges and learn to see the good. Honest gratitude doesn’t treat challenges and trials as trivial. Honest gratitude sees the silver lining in the midst of it all. It is the difference between “It could be worse..” and “Even in this…”



  • Gratitude helps chase away anxiety. In the middle of a very dark time, it was listing gratitude or all God had done and was doing that got us through. When anxiety threatened to overwhelm me, reciting or reading that list grounded me, helped me breathe and get through the next moment. It was pivotal, undeniable, transforming.  Maybe that is why studies suggest people who practice gratitude before sleeping have a better sleep.



  • Practicing gratitude changes our perspective. It refocuses us and brings balance to what we are thinking. It helps put things back in their proper place. ie. mountains return to being molehills.



  • Research suggests that gratitude helps with resiliency. Generally, people who have endured trauma recover better when they practice gratitude. 



  • It keeps us from being entitled and expecting life to go our way. In acknowledging what we have to be thankful for, we recognize that a life without that blessing is an actual possibility. We come to value it and recognize it’s worth rather than take it for granted.



This is by no means an exhaustive list. I am sure a google search would reveal many more benefits to developing the discipline of gratitude in our lives.  


Now to practice what I preach...


I am thankful for:

  • A God who gave everything to save us and longs to know us personally
  • This beautiful world we live in
  • That I enjoy the freedoms and peace this country offers me
  • I have an amazing family, the best parents & sister ever
  • A faithful husband who loves me and our family the best he can
  • Kids who are fun loving and love to be with us
  • More amazing, real authentic friends than we deserve
  • An amazing faith family at our church
  • Our daily needs met in abundance



Ideas to create and expand the discipline of gratitude:

  • Keep a journal by your bed, start and end your day by listing a few things you are thankful for
  • Share something from your day you were thankful for at supper every evening together
  • List a few things you are grateful or while doing your least favorite chore 



What are some ways you practice gratitude?


Happy Thanksgiving!!








No comments:

Post a Comment