Sunday, April 9, 2017

God is Not Immune to Pain



It is Palm Sunday. 
The day we celebrate Jesus going into Jerusalem as King. 
In the recorded history, the people rejoice, laying down their cloaks and palm branches to honor him.

Those who went ahead and those who followed shouted,
“Hosanna!
“Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!”
“Blessed is the coming kingdom of our father David!”
“Hosanna in the highest heaven!”

I have always felt tension on Palm Sunday. 
From the time I was small.
Those involved in this celebration had no idea what lay ahead. 
They were completely unprepared. Jesus begins to display a different tone and urgency in his teaching as he tries to prepare his followers for what lies ahead and who knows what The Father and Holy Spirit are feeling knowing what lies ahead and how those praising him will in a few short days be crying out for his death. Oh, the fickle nature of humanity.

We who read the accounts now know what is coming. 
That is where my tension rises from.


I love this quote from John R. W. Stott
“I could never myself believe in God, if it were not for the cross. The only God I believe in is the One Nietzsche ridiculed as 'God on the cross.' In the real world of pain, how could one worship a God who was immune to it? I have entered many temples...and in imagination I have turned instead to that lonely, twisted, tortured figure on the cross, nails through hands and feet, back lacerated, limbs wrenched, brow bleeding from thorn-pricks, mouth dry and intolerably thirsty, plunged in Godforsaken darkness. That is the God for me! He laid aside his immunity to pain. He entered our world of flesh and blood, tears and death. He suffered for us. Our sufferings become more manageable in the light of his. There is still a question mark against human suffering, but over it we boldly stamp another mark, the cross that symbolizes divine suffering. 'The cross of Christ ... is God’s only self-justification in such a world” as ours....' 'The other gods were strong; but thou wast weak; they rode, but thou didst stumble to a throne; But to our wounds only God’s wounds can speak, And not a god has wounds, but thou alone.”
The torturous cost of my sin He willingly bore. A God who entered into pain for us. We have a King, Lord, Saviour, Friend, who understands. He is unique in his identification with our pain. He can comfort us because He walked this earth, lived in the world we live in and understands our experience. We are not alone.

Today we celebrate Palm Sunday, it is a day of celebration, gratefulness, and joy. I acknowledge the tension I feel and knowing that Jesus himself knew what was coming. Knowing he willingly embraced it. Jesus did not turn away from the path that led to the Cross. I celebrate a King who chose this to redeem humankind and restore what sin broke, at great cost to himself.

It is fitting I give everything to follow Hosanna, Messiah,
the one who gave everything for humanity.

In preparation for Easter, I have been reading from some YouVersion Bible reading plans. 40 days of Lent and Words of Jesus During Passion Week. I encourage you to explore some options this week to prepare your heart and reflect on what Jesus suffered and accomplished for us.

Hosanna in the Highest!





No comments:

Post a Comment