Sunday, September 17, 2017

September...UGH

If you ask me if I like Fall, I will say yes. An enthusiastic YES!

 If you ask me if I like September, you will get such a negative response that you may assume I greatly dislike Fall as a whole!


September is not the same as fall for me. It is a month of transition.
It signals the passing of the carefree days of summer. Watermelon, playing at the lake and setting our own schedule. 

It is the end of bare feet, shorts, a T-shirt and patio nights.

September feels like this abrupt change in life. It comes so hard and fast that it leaves me reeling to find my footing for what seems like weeks.

UGH!

When our kids became old enough for school, it marked the imposition of a schedule. The school bell now dictated our lives. If it was a beautiful day, we couldn't just pick up and go outside to play at the lake together.  There were school and review and activities starting up. I felt a little robbed. OK, I felt significantly robbed!! I have always resented the ring of that bell!

At this stage of life, September means driving our kids to far off locations and leaving them there. It now is alerting me to the passing of time in a new way.  This transition seems to get worse with time because I know what to expect. In this case
 knowing what to expect does not actually make things easier! This is not good for my relationship with September, we are already on very unstable and rocky terms...

Thank goodness Sydney and Connor are home this year!!!


On the other hand, I love fall for the colors and glory of the changing leaves. I love the creativity that these glorious colors inspire.Our hometown shows this season off with a flourish.  My street has this beautiful archway of vivid changing color. I enjoy taking time to listen to the fall breeze rustle through the trees. It is a soothing sound. In Fall, there is a restful peace that descends as the world relinquishes itself to it's winter sleep.


September marks the beginning of this for me and every year I have to fight my way through the transition to embrace the beauty of the change. Not my greatest month.  I beg you not to form an idea of my character and person through this month. I am not at my best.  Check back in October...I may be worth your time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment