Sunday, July 2, 2017

Do You Have A Happy Place?


Do you have a happy place? A place you can't wait to get to? A place you can go to get away from the world?

When I was a little girl, my parents bought a lake lot. I was devastated. I thought we would never take a holiday again. I loved camping and holidaying as a family. I was sure if my parents bought this lake lot, all our money would be gone forever and we would never get away again. 

I was 9.

Cloudy or sunny, if it was 20 degrees we were there. Friends, water, fun. 

It was hard for me as a student to miss that family time out there when I started working. As a young Mom,  it was a refuge, a place my kids could play and be happy.  A boat makes an excellent safe space for little explorers. I could jump in there, visit with the adults on the dock and not have to run everywhere to save my toddlers from impending doom. It is where my parents patiently taught me to ski. Where we had the pleasure of watching our kids learn to wakeboard and ski. 

It has given us countless hours of fun with friends and family.  

Turns out that place I never wanted them to purchase has become my happy place. I am so thankful that they bought it, kept it, invested in it and have been crazy generous to us with it. I wait all winter for the days we can go relax and be there together.

It is my place to get away from work and our house. The dust doesn't demand to be dusted, the laundry doesn't niggle me to be laundered. The books don’t beg to be…booked???

It is where I love to be if I need to work things out. The splash of the waves, the rustle of the wind help to quiet me to get to the root of my unrest. 

I have mentioned that when I am hurt, my emotion of choice is anger. It is a red flag to me that all is not right in my world. It makes me step back and unpack everything to get to the route of my unrest.  The lake helps me get there faster. It takes me out of my space so I can't be distracted. It clears the clutter.

It is hard for me to face my hurt. I feel overwhelmed by it. Somehow in that peaceful place God can help me face it.  

In reality, God is my safe place. He gives me the courage to face my pain and not be overwhelmed by it. The lake just gives me space to hear his soft whisper. It sweeps away the noise so God can lead me through it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment