Sunday, June 12, 2016

Real Men. Good Men.

The news has been rough this week.

At one end of the world ISIS is getting away with war crimes of horrific proportions and on this end of the world, a young kid failed to own his behaviour and have the basic human decency to recognize how his choices devastatingly harmed another, only to be echoed by his father. UNREAL!!

Part of me is in shock...

Why does the world sit idly by when terrorists storm into cities, throw people out of their homes and take their women and daughters to be their personal sex toys??

This has happened for generations in Africa and no one cares because Africa has no oil or natural resources to compensate the efforts.

UGH...it is too much sometimes.

Did I actually read articles this week where a Father minimized his son's brutal and vicious actions? Did he really just try to pass off rape as "20 minutes of action"?

I feel sick...

I know it happens; I know it. But when it slaps me in the face like this, it shocks me.

I am one very blessed person. I do not know any men who behave with such disregard for the law and lives of others. I am apparently a rarity.

The men in my family and the men in my friendship circles are real men. Good men.

I realize what I have been saved from. How protected I have always been.

Some of the men I know have had to work hard for what they have. Nothing was handed to them. Some have had every opportunity. They have led privileged lives.

Most have more than they need, yet they have not adopted the attitude and actions of "White Male Privilege" or that if power mongers thinly veiling their acts of war and crime with religion.

Not one has the attitude that they have what they have because they deserve it.

Not one believes they can take what they want because they are owed.

Not one has the attitude that they are better than others, or that women and girls exist solely for their enjoyment, pleasure, or service.
.

They are real men, generous with what they have and concerned for the well-fare of others.

These men have raised their children, from the beginning, to treat all people as they would like to be treated.

Men who care how their sons treat others. Whose children learn the difference between right and wrong.

Men who train their sons with respect and regard for women.

Men who teach their sons to honor women, to lift them up in word and deed.

Men who demonstrate to their sons that a woman is not an object to be lusted after, but respected for her mind, soul, dreams and abilities.

Men who expect integrity and honor from their sons, both in private and in public.

Men who instruct their sons to own their behaviour, to face the consequences of their actions.

Men who teach their sons about redemption and forgiveness, to receive it and reach higher, be better.

Men who are raising men.

Good men.

I have a deep, deep gratitude for my Husbands Father, my own Father and the Men who raised them. There is a culture of honor and respect for women that runs in our families.

I believe I owe sincere gratitude to my Heavenly Father. In His mercy and grace, He revealed His truth to the men in our families generations ago. Through His Word, He taught them to love and honor women as fellow image bearers of The King. Cherished, gifted, strong and capable.

My husband loves and honours me. He serves me graciously and encourages me to use my talents and gifting. He is my greatest support and most faithful cheerleader!

Craig is my safe place. He has set an incredible example for our sons, and they have learned from him. Craig cherishes his daughter and has loved her well. He treats all women with dignity, respect, courtesy and kindness. By his example, Craig has shown our girl what she should expect from a man and our boys how to be men.

Craig demonstrates daily to our boys and girl that it is possible to acknowledge a woman's strength while showing her she is a treasure. A priceless gift, never to be used and tossed away. A person who has worth and dignity because she bears the image of The Creator. A life that counts and is irreplaceable. He has shown our boys that women are to be protected and empowered, never to be trodden on.

Our sons have a sister they adore. They treat her well, and I love how they expect other young men to treat her. I love how they respect women and girls. They aren't perfect; they are works in progress, and I am proud of what I see in them and the target they are aiming for. They are already good men.

Craig has shown our boys what it means to be a good man.

Apparently, this is not as common an example as it should be. I am so thankful it has been the legacy of our families and the many families we know. I am overwhelmed with gratitude for this.

I pray this attitude catches fire and spreads fiercely, far and wide, across the globe.

All women deserve to be surrounded by real men. Good men.

All boys deserve the chance to grow up to be real men. Good men.

No comments:

Post a Comment